The Chikungunya virus is now reported to be in the Caribbean.
- Viral disease spread by mosquitoes which bite during daylight hours
- No direct person-to-person transmission
- Symptoms include the sudden onset of fever and joint pain, particularly affecting the hands, wrists, ankles and feet
- Most patients recover after a few days but in some cases the joint pain may persist for weeks, months or even longer
Please take precautions to minimise your risk of being infected.
- Use mosquito repellents to avoid mosquito bites
- Use mosquito screens
- Wear clothing to cover your arms and legs
For more information on the Chikungunya virus please visit the US CDC website here.